Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Where are you?

In Genesis 3:9 God calls to Adam and asks "Where are you?".  God didn't have a lack of information, He was having Adam ask the question to himself, because Adam had strayed.  Very often we need to ask ourselves, "Where am I?"
I tend to be the one who looks around to see what is happening.  When the Bible suggests that we should walk circumspectly, I take that seriously.  To do this, I communicate with many different groups whether Christian, atheist, scientific and metaphysical.  The information is actually pretty consistent.  When considering the sources, then comparing values and testing my environment everything coincides with small margins for error.
This is why when I come across information that I recently have, I am bothered.  Some of the information indicates that Christians as a whole aren’t really very committed.  A recent survey shows results that atheists and Jews know more about world religions including CHRISTIANITY than Catholics and Protestants do.  Evangelicals scored the highest in Biblical knowledge among Christian groups but were still trumped by other beliefs.  Another survey shows that almost half of all Americans have transitioned from one faith or denomination to another or even nothing.  25% of Americans between the ages of 18 – 29 claim no religious affiliation at all, couldn’t name the four gospels and atheism has doubled.  Actually a very close relationship exists between the increased number of students graduating college and the increase in atheism/agnosticism.
What is happening with Christianity?  Are people becoming educated beyond the belief of Christianity?  Are kids not being prepared in their faith enough to persist in their convictions when challenged?  Do Christians actually believe what they profess?  My views?...Hosea 4:6

3 comments:

  1. Amen Joe! I choose to believe In God, although I may not understand (for instance much of the O.T)
    However, I keep plowing in. I keep praying, I keep honoring God~ Even If I don't understand everything. I have to realize it is a completely different culture, translation, life style.
    I commit my heart and soul to God- knowing that
    it will all be revealed when I am gone from this
    planet. I am tending lately to rest in "Be still and know that I am God"
    It would be the same as trying to understand how my computer is sending information over the internet/while someone reads it..Or how it works from a plane. How am I talking to someone in Norway and seeing their face on skype?I just believe it. I would make myself nuts trying to analyze and break it down...and that is the same way I feel about some biblical parts that I do not understand. I must just let it rest...
    and Believe in My creator and his Son :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's depressing really.. it must mean that Christianity is a "chore" for young people and not a desire or choice of their own.. I play drums as often as possible because I love it and its real to me. Not because anyone convinced me that drums were awesome yet someone had to indroduce me to them in the first place.. same rule applies to God and I'm CONVINCED that it leads back to taking God/Prayer out of public schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I was about playing trumpet. i still wish that i could. That was always my worship time. We need to get back to the "reality" of God and not just rely on the tradition and thought of god (little g).

    ReplyDelete