Friday, October 29, 2010

How Much Time Do We Need?

I awoke this morning with a very heavy burden.  That burden was so powerful that my hands were literally shaking.  Those who know me well understand that this is not exactly a regular occurrence for me in that I am typically a very calm and even tempered person who relishes logic and reason.  So what was this burden you ask?  I’m glad you asked and let me explain.
God has given us shadows of many things in the Bible ranging from familial makeup, personal obstacles, good and bad leadership, a God like heart, proper and improper motivation, personal growth, etc., etc.  These shadows, or examples, apply to individuals, groups and the collective whole of humanity.  They apply to individuals to show how we are to live our lives as personal example and improvement to be used as outward witness.  They apply to businesses and church groups as to how we are to work together, manage our affairs and lead people into greater growth.  They apply to the global collective in that no one is exempt and we should be a proper representative of God to the entire world as one body. 
This allows room for growth.  God’s purpose is to have us join His family and invite others to do the same.  We are not perfect and therefore make mistakes and God guides us into improvement.  What if we get lazy?  Does it matter if we need more time to go around that mountain again and again and again?  Does it matter if we because of personality and choice,we take as much time as we like?  Does it really matter if churches, organizations or people choose to segregate themselves and do their own thing?  With all of my heart and emphatically as I can say it, YES!!
The image that I was left with, which was so thoroughly disturbing, was that some of the lost have time for further personal and corporate development, BUT SOME DO NOT!  We eventually will have to account for our activities and inactivity’s.  The worst thing that I can imagine, my Hell as it were, would be to get to Heaven and have God show me the people who are not in the family of eternal life with God because I was lazy, stubborn or stuck on myself.  How many have to die before I am willing to do all that I can and get over myself enough to do the work which is worthy of God?  How many years must go by before church groups realize that there is only one church and the credit doesn’t belong to one or the other?
I know pastors in this community who have been watching, working and waiting for people to stand up in unison to claim the harvest that is there.  They weep for their community and have been for 30+ years seeing the same thing time and time again.  I was left this morning with the image of Jesus sitting on a hill weeping over His people with the vision of this day, and division going through His mind.  I was left with the vision of Jesus hanging on the cross paying for all that many today try to take credit for.  Enough with the signs and banners and competition and let’s get down to business…together!

1 comment:

  1. Joe, this is a jolting reminder of how truly short time is and how much work is yet to be done. We cannot isolate ourselves from one another because we don't see eye to eye on issues that do not matter in God's grand scheme. We must unite! One church, one God!
    Thanks for the candid reminder!

    ReplyDelete